Thursday 25 August 2016

I find no dishonour...

I find no dishonour when a fellow human being takes the extreme measure and removes themselves from existence. What ever weight was upon their shoulders or cloud that surrounded their brain, to them there was no other choice but to take their own life. I feel that the inability to communicate the struggle they were in is part of it. Perhaps pride and being a brave and strong person on the outside is a cover to protect the frightened and overwhelmed soul which is on the inside. 
Whatever the case may be, the person taking their own life is a victim... a victim of a mental illness and they succumb to that illness. All over the world people take this measure to bring on what they feel is relief, happiness and to apparently remove the perceived stress from others. The illness which has taken the lives of some of my friends and other more well know people like Robin Williams cannot be ignored.

Soldiers from any military force take their lives due to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or Shell Shock. They are unable to cope with life in the civilian world. It is not a problem that is easily recognized even by professionals but it is an illness that needs to be addressed. Statistics show that 40% of transgender people take their lives as a result of not being able to get the help they seek and none of this is acceptable.


I was at that point a number of years ago but I also knew all to well that this option was not for me. I battled the disease, the mental illness and overcame the stress and removed the cloud from my mind. I am grateful for those that took the time to listen.

I find no dishonour in suicide, it is an individual choice and I sincerely hope that those that take this step have found what they were looking for... no longer in pain and existing in peace.

Be well...


1 comment: